Sharing Knowledge Is a Greater Crime...

stage

Sharing Knowledge Is a Greater Crime...

Post by stage » 14 Jan 2013 20:26

...Than Bringing Down the Economy
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ali-hayat ... 65851.html
Providing scientific articles to those at elite universities in the First World, but not to children in the Global South? It's outrageous and unacceptable ... Those with access to these resources -- students, librarians, scientists -- you have been given a privilege. You get to feed at this banquet of knowledge while the rest of the world is locked out. But you need not -- indeed, morally, you cannot -- keep this privilege for yourselves. You have a duty to share it with the world ... It's called stealing or piracy, as if sharing a wealth of knowledge were the moral equivalent of plundering a ship and murdering its crew. But sharing isn't immoral -- it's a moral imperative. Only those blinded by greed would refuse to let a friend make a copy ... It's time to come into the light and, in the grand tradition of civil disobedience, declare our opposition to this private theft of public culture.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/1 ... 1358028863

Alusi

Re: Sharing Knowledge Is a Greater Crime...

Post by Alusi » 14 Jan 2013 20:58

Knowledge is power, those with power (money, knowledge, etc) wont give it away. This shit has been going on in one form or another since homo erectus or whoever first controlled fire. Whats new?

Do you really want to do anything about? Stop playing games and get campaiging or whatever?

Personally I say fuck off horrible world as much as I can, until something directly effects me or those I love.

Interesting though ;)

marny

Post by marny » 16 Jan 2013 11:59

its sapiens ( just 4 the record and ur KNOWLEDGE) :mrgreen:

stage

Post by stage » 16 Jan 2013 13:25

most ppl seem to be just "homo" though

Alusi

Post by Alusi » 17 Jan 2013 19:42

Off topic but as you mentioned it Marny

Early use of fire
Middle Paleolithic evidence
Africa
The earliest definitive evidence of human control of fire was found at Swartkrans, South Africa.[8] Several burnt bones were found among Acheulean tools, bone tools, and bones with hominid-inflicted cut marks.[4] This site also shows some of the earliest evidence of carnivory in H. erectus.

Source
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_of ... rly_humans

Gurnax
Guild Member
Main Name: Lenyn
Main Class: Dark Templar

Post by Gurnax » 18 Jan 2013 19:08

There is a significant difference between pre-modern and modern character of knowledge and that difference alone refutes all attempts to draw the sign of equality between pre-modern, let alone pre-historic use of knowledge and the role and function of knowledge today. It is a difference between the use value and the exchange value.

Use value: one uses knowledge for something, a type of knowledge French authors term "savoir-faire", "know-how"; exchange value: "connaissance", knowledge related not to things but to itself, making a self-referential corpus of knowledge.

Sharing scientific articles, giving them away for free in no way corresponds to the use of stones to make fire; instead it corresponds to giving away for free tickets for entering the exclusive scientific club.

Why is it exclusive? It is exclusive precisely because knowledge today is not know-how but is commodity itself (private universities one has to pay for on one hand, degradation of public universities on the other, etc.).

One today uses knowledge to produce more knowledge the same way that money is, in the last instance, today used not to obtain this or that thing, but in order to produce more money. Right equivalent to giving away scientific articles for free would then be giving away money for free, and if money is to be free it would subvert its own value, because money's value is derived from its exclusivity (formally, there are those with it and those without it, positive/negative). Giving away money for free or scientific articles for free therefore is in character the same as printing counterfeit money (and circulation of counterfeit money as its effect produces loss of any value non-counterfeit money may have).

That's why this was such a big offense - it was not just about sharing knowledge, it was about destroying the key values of the presently dominant politico-economical order.
“Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.”
Groucho Marx