...THIS STORY SHALL ALSO BE TOLD !!!

Gurnax
Guild Member
Main Name: Lenyn
Main Class: Dark Templar

Re: ...THIS STORY SHALL ALSO BE TOLD !!!

Post by Gurnax » 16 May 2014 22:47

My "glass is half-full" version would go: Andrea Berloff made only one movie so far, wasn't good, wasn't that bad either, and either way, it's director's call, not the screenwriter's what the finished product looks like. So, I'd give her a chance. And, she looks like a nice lady.

Plus, Paul Verhoeven expressed interest in directing it, so there's still some hope.

Anyways, I know for a fact this movie will be superior to the other Conan movie which is presently in the making, and which is made by Hollywood stuntmen team, meaning, independent production, filmed somewhere in Asia, with some guy whose face should be on a "plastic surgery? think again!" kind-of warning posters (see this: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1622067968/ ... nmmd_md_pv)

The 2014 low-budget Conan movie IMDB page:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3153498/
“Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.”
Groucho Marx

Junoa

Post by Junoa » 16 May 2014 23:54

If he does it and Iets hope so. I am going to send him so many twitter comments to hire Knutte in dutch and with the music samples, so many emails he wont know what hit him haha and I know where he lives in Holland :P

Gurnax
Guild Member

Post by Gurnax » 17 May 2014 01:40

Hehe, spam him in my name too then!
Groucho Marx

Pyrox

Post by Pyrox » 17 May 2014 17:16

Oh hai. Old King Conan with Arnold in it. Yes please.

Arnold rocks, this movie will also rock, who watches Conan/Arnold films for intellectual stimulation anyways (except terminator 2, terminator 2 is awesome).

Gurnax
Guild Member

Post by Gurnax » 10 Feb 2015 17:25

This film takes longer to be made then one would normally expect, and by now I have doubts if it will ever see the light of day. The latest update came a few days ago, and it says that Andrea Berloff (who previously wrote only one film, Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center", 2006) is not to have the final word on this films screenplay, because Will Beall (a former homicide agent turned screenplay writer no less, but again an inexperienced screenwriter) was brought in. Link here: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=43382

Previous to this update, there was a word from Francis Ford Coppola, stating John Milius, the man behind the original 1982 Conan movie, is ready to take things over. Also, Coppola confirmed he was actively taking part in different aspects of the production of the the first Conan film (which then answers some of the questions I had about it, i.e. how come this film was so good while other films Milius did are nowhere near it). But it seems that the producers of this new Conan film are remaining deaf to Coppola's statement, and are continuing working with their own people, i.e. people who are behind "Fast and Furious" film series. I see this as a missed opportunity. Link for the Coppola interview here: http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news ... -conan-828

The most intriguing news, however, are those which come from several unofficial sources, stating that the new Conan film, "The Legend of Conan", will NOT be based on any Conan novel, but will instead be based on David Gemmell's novel "Legend", published in 1984. I suppose one could see this coming: "Legend" -- "Legend of Conan"! The novel itself, although it has no character named "Conan", tells the story of a 60-year old legendary warrior, joining in a struggle to defend one city from foreign, barbaric invaders. This elderly hero possess a legendary weapon, an axe called "Snaga", which I suppose will be substituted for Conan's Atlantean sword. There is also one other character involved in a romantic relationship with a woman who dies and then comes back to life, so I guess this character will be merged with the 60 year old hero, and the woman will be Valeria from the original film. Also, there's a character called "Tsubodai", which is close to "Subotai", both the historical Genghis Khan's general and the character from the 1982 Conan movie. With all these points of intersection, one can see why would the producers choose this novel for the final Schwarzenegger Conan movie.

One thing can be seen as troubling regarding "The Legend of Conan" being an adaptation of Gemmell's "Legend", and that is this siege story frame, which by now we know well from more-less all "LOTR"/"The Hobbit" films, also, from "The Game of Thrones", then from films which followed "300" such as "Ironclad", "Immortals", etc. And, coupled together with the fact that they are ignoring Coppola, all that might be pointing out in the direction of lazy thinking on the side of the creators of the new Conan film. Still, whatever turns out, if indeed this film gets to be made, it will be nice to once again see Arnold wielding the Atlantean sword, with "The Anvil of Crom" thundering in the background.
Groucho Marx

Junoa

Post by Junoa » 10 Feb 2015 18:06

Eh come Gurnax, arent you taking this too far, gemmell's legend is really different, Druss who wields Snaga is not a thief, he is not a king, actually he is the most honest person in the books, I know because I read the books 50 times, the general called Ulric, Tsubotai is his granson, Druss will die at 63 in the year of the panther, actually I can write the whole book hehe but just go read it, his wife was kidnapped and he followed her, its not the same as legend of conan

Junoa

Post by Junoa » 10 Feb 2015 18:10

And trust me, the chronichles of the drenai sre the best books I have ever read, from Waylander till swords of day and night, Ihave read them more than enough to know the story by heart

Gurnax
Guild Member

Post by Gurnax » 10 Feb 2015 18:14

Address all complaints to Universal Studios o.o I'm just a messenger of (potentially) bad news. But again, it has not being officially confirmed that "Legend" will be adapted into "Legend of Conan", although, as I said, there is a word of mouth, now from several different sources.
Groucho Marx

Junoa

Post by Junoa » 10 Feb 2015 18:44

If they are going to do it, I am not going to watch it, Druss is of a kind and snaga is demonic

Gurnax
Guild Member

Post by Gurnax » 10 Feb 2015 20:40

But what if they merge the plot of "Legend" with, say, REH's "Beyond the Black River" (in both you got savage conquerors advancing, taking over at some point, etc.), I bet you'll watch it then!
My point being, they might take elements of "Legend" but for sure they will adapt them to fit the REH universe, so resemblance with "Legend" might be only formal in the end.
I'm not ready to give up on this one yet.
Groucho Marx